Because I just had a second baby and just about everyone I know is prego, or just added to their own brood; I am constantly searching for great gifts. I am a big believer in doing something different. Anyone can give a babyGap outfit. I like to give gifts that are products I loved and found handy or things that were really different. It is especially hard to buy gifts for families that have just had a 2nd of the same sex. They likely have almost everything they need. I also find it hard to buy gifts for people who's taste I don't know that well. So, what are some of my favorites when in this bind...
1. Family stationary - I got this when my 2nd was born and LOVED it (i.e stationary or pads of paper that say "The Smiths" at the top and then has each family members name John, Jane, Fred and Beth underneath)- A friend just introduced me to this website that I like a lot http://www.stationarystudio.com/. I like http://www.thestationerystudio.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.viewProduct/productID/10762/catId/754/Typewriter_Family_Cards.html for a more formal friend or http://www.thestationerystudio.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.viewProduct/productID/6164/catId/754/Wendy_Family_Pride_Notecard.html or for a more casual couple. If you'd like to spend a little less or think pads are more fun try http://www.thestationerystudio.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.viewProduct/productID/13971/catId/1285/Pinney_Blossom_Notepads.html for mom pads or http://www.thestationerystudio.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.viewProduct/productID/13888/catId/1285/Ginger_Polkadot_Notepads.htmlall of which can be customized with two line of text at the top and one at the bottom (for an address or saying, or left blank). I just ordered http://www.thestationerystudio.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/catalog.viewProduct/productID/13889/catId/1285/Sour_Apple_Polka_Dot_Notepads.html for a couple with a new baby girl. The green seemed to be good b/c it was gender neutral enough to include the dad. I had the text done like my "Smith" family example above and. I ordered the mini pads which came as a set of four (200 sheets total) but these are all available in several formats.
2. A gift card to a restaurant for the couple's first non-kids night post new baby.
3. Plants - any type that require little maintenance as most first, second time moms have little time to pee much less tend to a plant.
4. Mommy Jewelry - necklaces, bracelets etc that have the kids names and birthdays on them are a big hit. There are cheaper ones http://www.mommytags.com/ and moderate http://www.littlejules.com/ and then more expensive http://www.blissliving.com/hmjewelry.html, or http://www.blissliving.com/diamond-cut-swarovski-crystals-baby-shoes-heart-necklace-bliss-in-white.html for these who love bling and then their is CRAZY http://www.blissliving.com/diamond-baby-shoes-heart-necklace-adore.html. There are about a million others as well, but these were some of the ones I like best. Red Envelope has a large selection as well. I also like the photo ones like http://www.christij.com/products/photoj.shtml she also sells a lot of mommy tag types too. I love these and think they are very different http://www.hollymariejewelry.com/Home.html.
5. Personalized burp cloths - even though they might have these from the first, the 2nd needs their own - http://www.twoladybugs.net/, and http://www.babyburpies.com/ have cute embroidered pictures and names http://www.moonbeambaby.com/ has names and pretty fabrics, http://www.babybehip.com/ is cute too. For the largest selection of custom options try http://www.cutestthings.com/ which also has GREAT bags. For more BLING try http://www.bling-baby.com/ . Another great one more for monograms is http://www.beverlyhillsburpclub.com/.
6. Monogrammed clothes - I am sure their are a million places for this but surprisingly one of the most reasonable ($40 or less) is http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2065603&cp=2048081&ab=ln_baby_features_createyourown you can customize hats, shirts (long and short sleeve) jackets etc. with baby's monogram - super preppy and cute!
Sunday, June 3, 2007
While in NY city for a wedding last weekend, I saw a friend who has known me for years. She made a point of noting that the blog had not been updated in some time now. She said "I knew you'd start out strong and then not keep it up." I don't want to be that person though. I worry that it is a sign of the person I am overall. That I go at things full gusto and then peter out. I don't generally think of myself that way but maybe since she was right, she was really making a statement about me and not about this blog. With that said she did share with me a great new gadget that I am now dying to have and can't find ANYWHERE. It is made by Gerber and it is just a little plastic top that can be popped onto any water bottle, juice etc. to make it into a sports like sippy cup - BRILLIANT! She got it in Duane Reade which did not have any when we looked. I have since done an extensive web search to no avail. So I am recommending this, but have no way to show it to you or to give purchasing info. In fact if anyone can tell me where to find it myself, I'd be grateful.